Sunday 15 August 2010

Balotelli: Parallels with Rooney; misquotes; video

So, on Friday Balotelli finally sealed his move to City and I have written on a number of occasions why I think he is worth 'the gamble', so I won't go into detail again here. To quote Chris Whyatt on the BBC instead:

"Firstly, the base ingredients: lightning-quick, strong as an ox, good with both feet, impeccable technique, Balotelli - who, but for citizenship issues, may have been snapped up by Barcelona when he was younger - possesses rare if raw gifts."


Balotelli has sensational ability and, as he has only recently turned twenty, there is plenty of time for him to concentrate his temperament on becoming 'one of the world's best footballers' as Mancini suggested. How many of the truly great footballers have had that fiery temperament?

A bad environment has developed around him in Italy - whether it be the rascism, a declining relationship with Inter, or the media focus - and it is a widely held view that Balotelli will thrive under the change given by a new environment.

Football Italia blogger Steve Wilson has hit back at people who argue he is unproven (a strange thing to level at a nineteen/twenty year old anyway), comparing his record to Rooney's when United shelled out on him. His main point is of English ignorance of foreign football. Whilst countries such as Italy and Spain love their leagues the most, in a lot of cases they are also avid followers of the other big leagues - in England, that is the reserve of the fanatics.

An example of this was when Mancini was announced after the Sunderland game. I was listening to Radio Manchester and Nigel Gleghorn said, in a fit of pique, 'what has he ever won?' Which, as good as he occasionally is on the radio, is a bit surprising from someone who earns their living talking about football.

The other issue that has irritated me about the signing has been the instant report of 'Balotelli wanted to stay in Italy'. His statement to his personal website read as follows:

"I'm sorry that I'm leaving Inter and Italy because I would have preferred to continue my career in my own country.

"I'm going where I hope to find the space I need to play which is very important to me: I need to play, to make mistakes, to learn and to play again. As well as a calm environment around me.

"It's been a difficult year. I've recognised my mistakes, but I think I've often been under pressure and on the receiving end of criticism that at times has irritated me.

"Now all I'm thinking about is playing well for my new club and in the Premier League. I really want to give it my best try!"


To me, this reads 'it is a shame I have to leave Italy but it is best for my career'. Which is hardly the same as saying 'I wish I was staying put'. Let's give him a chance before we label him with the same 'difficult character' tag that he has brought with him from Italy.

Balotelli is another player who could 'write the future' of the club - if it all clicks, we have a sensational talent on our hands - and at a reported £22.5m, it really could be a snip for one of the most highly rated young players in Europe.

4 comments:

  1. Great article. Remember, the knives are out for City and we have to get used to all this nonsense. We were called 'boring' yesterday for not managing to lose against Tottenham.

    I'll taking boring anyday over 'exciting second division yoyo outfit' - yesteryears' West Brom - like we were under any number of managers. Chelsea under Mourinho, Arsenal under Graham and the early Wenger, even Leeds under Revie - all great teams start by sorting their defence out, then moving on to possess the flair that Chelsea managed towards the end of last season.

    Who are the in-form team in the Premiership?: Spurs. Their last two home games were to hammer title-chasing Arsenal and pulverise champs Chelsea. So great point and let's mover forward from here as the new players finally get to train together and find their feet in the Premiership.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Feck me!

    I hadn't seen much of Balotelli before seeing this video montage, and wasn't overly excited by his signing, but now thanks to you I have seen the light!
    He looks like a proper Premiership player, dare I say it, could even reach the heights Ronaldo the ladyboy did with Manure.
    Bloody well done Bobbymanc, I was very worried with Beller's imminent departure, but this boy looks like he'll eclipse him in no time.
    I've never been overly impressed with Adebayor's commitment and workrate, I hope Super Mario can link up with Carlos Tevez successfully, if he does we'll be unstoppable!
    Apropos of nothing, did you see the way we have started to play football from the back with the introduction of Joe Hart, and the exile of the long-ball merchant Shay Given?
    I for one hope Harty starts every game, and Shay learns from him how to be a fully-rounded goalkeeper, or does one, whichever is fine by me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mario and Joe are the future, thanks for you efforts Bellers and Shay, onwards and upwards indeed!
    Good point Jim, we were definitely building from the back yesterday, all round passing was woeful on the whole though...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another excellent article on your excellent blog.

    I too was horrified by the spin the British press put on the leaving Italy quotes.

    Let's hope he slots in nicely. We could have a world beater on our hands.

    ReplyDelete