Sunday 18 April 2010

Kryptonite for Superman; Mancini "too attacking!"; Nightmare results. City 0 - 1 United

The icing on the dismal cake was Frank Lampard. Through all the disbelief and dismay, he had to go and score a consolation goal. A consolation goal that the BBC live text cheekily suggested could see some more late drama - "there are still three minutes left" they quipped. Against all my reason, Frank made me hope. "Maybe this day isn't a write-off. Maybe football isn't so cruel afterall.." It would be karma if Lampard, who I actually quite like contrary to popular opinion, picked up an injury just before the World Cup. If only for making me believe again, before the inevitable stamped me back down.

Or maybe I'm re-directing my anger to an undeserving source.

The dreadful goal (let's be thankful for the small mercy it wasn't Neville?!) is just a blur to me now. I saw a ginger head pop up, all alone, I saw the flight of the ball, and the rest was lost as I buried my head in my hands. As I have no intention whatsoever of re-watching that goal, I have nothing to say on rumours of possible marking-failures or lapses of concentration, instead, like can happen in cases of extreme trauma, I intend to forget it almost altogether.

Which is, of course, the best advice for the City team. We still are in the "boxseat" for fourth, as we have Tottenham to play, so it is important we pick ourselves up from this. It is crushing to lose in that way, but one game should not deter what had looked like a team growing in confidence and fluidity.

I am going to try and strain out some positives now (if only to make me feel better). This is the third time we have fallen to an injury time knife from United this season, and all the record books will show we have come away with nothing from them this season. But, at least they have all been competitive fixtures. Gone are the days Ferguson would send out a slightly weakened side against us. Rooney was forced out despite being completely unfit - otherwise he is just completely rubbish but this season's evidence would suggest he is not. And although City did not play well yesterday, United were not much better. City are a team on the up and United are in a worse position than they were last season - so a little patience should still see City come to offer a stronger challenge to them in future seasons.

I think some players yesterday were guilty of letting the occasion overawe them - the game, as a whole, was a nervous, cagey affair and efforts on goal, or clear-cut chances were few. Both teams defended well and it seemed for all the world to be flickering out into a draw.

A lot has been made of 'defensive' tactics from Mancini, but I think the opposite is the case really. Setting out with the previously successful front-four had to be done on the back of the free-scoring recent games but, despite excellent performances by Barry and de Jong, United's extra-man in central midfield told. Barry and de Jong competed really well but there was always going to be room for a player like Scholes to take control of the ball. So bringing Vieira on for Johnson, for me, was the logical step and I feel it did return some control to City.

Then City had to go for it, so he brought on the more attacking midfield option of Ireland. It is not Mancini's fault that Ireland has forgotten how to run. Ever since his arrival, Mancini must've been wondering what the legend is about Ireland. If he doesn't pick him then the media ask him why. If he does pick him then he gets abject performances. Ireland has been dogged by injuries since Mancini stepped in, so there must be part of the manager that believes the hype. Ireland of last year would have been the right man to bring into the game at that situation - a man who would battle as well as being able to produce some magic. But this was not the Ireland who came on yesterday. He has had injury problems and he only had ten minutes to get involved, but the least I would expect was effort.

So, I don't think Mancini can take the blame for negative tactics, when it was his changes that got our foot back in the game when United were beginning to dictate possession.

Anyway, as I said, it is time for the squad to forget that game and make the most of what is remaining.

3 comments:

  1. I understand that Ireland has been carrying some injuries this season but you can tell his heart and head are not in the game. He is not half the player he was and something has gone terribly wrong. We need desperately to find a world class creative midfielder and move on from our home-grown player.

    Our season is not over but I think the performances of our players in the remaining fixtures will determine if they stay or go. I fear it's too late for Ireland and possibly SWP as well -- how he can demand a salary increase is simply beyond me. Oh, and don't even think of selling Hart! I rate Given but he should be made to compete harder for his place.

    City need to put in the shift of their lives in the remaining games, and anything less that a victory against Spurs at Eastlands will not be acceptable.

    As for trying to forget about yesterday, why what happened?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If we don't shoot we won't score. How many shots did we have? its very pretty passing the ball around but there has to be an end result.

    ReplyDelete
  3. BlueRain.

    I agree that he is not half the player he was. But I would love to think he can recover his head somewhere along the way. If this season is a blip for him, it would be a shame to let such a talent go.

    If though, as you suggest, his head has gone completely, and a good summer break won't fix him, then it is a great shame. At the moment it looks that way, but I hold out hope yet.. and that is probably what makes his form this season so frustrating.

    ReplyDelete